Banned driver took chance and drove while disqualified

Craigavon Courthouse. INPT21-239.

Craigavon Courthouse. INPT21-239.

0
Have your say

When his partner phoned him to pick her up from work a 27-year-old man took a chance and drove even though he was disqualified.

Krzysztof Dawid Jankowski, Union Street, Portadown, was sentenced to five months in prison, suspended for three years, last Friday at Craigavon Magistrates Court for driving while disqualified.

For driving without insurance he was fined £250 and given a concurrent two month custodial sentence, also suspended for three years.

The court heard that police saw a car being driven in West Street, Portadown, and checks revealed there was no insurance in place.

They stopped the car in Mill Avenue and spoke to the defendant who said he had only bought the car a few days previously.

He was asked for his insurance and said he had left it at home but further checks revealed he had been disqualified on November 7 last year.

The case had been adjourned so that a pre-sentence report could be obtained.

The court heard that the defendant had suspended sentences from the Crown Court for counterfeit matters.

A barrister for the defendant said that on the night in question his partner was working in a bar and phoned him to pick her up so he took a chance.

He added that his client had been assaulted in the same street by a number of males and had received a broken jaw so that was why he took the risk to drive.

The lawyer indicated that the pre-sentence report assessed the defendant as a low likelihood of re-offending.

He added that his client accepted the offence crossed the custody threshold but asked the court to leave something hanging over his head.

The barrister said that the Crown Court matter concerned the defendant and a number of others bringing counterfeit items from China to sell.