Living room was a ‘death trap’

Maria Jose and Feliciano Saba with the DVD and safety leaflet. INPT15-018
Maria Jose and Feliciano Saba with the DVD and safety leaflet. INPT15-018

The parents of the toddler who was strangled by a blind cord have helped make a poignant video about their son’s death in a bid to prevent further tragedies.

Feliciano and Maria Jose Saba were determined to speak out after the accident in October in which their youngest child Bryan died.

The couple, who attended the launch of the film at Craigavon Civic Centre on Tuesday, were praised for their “tremendous courage” in talking about their ordeal.

The video will be used as an educational tool by the Southern Health Trust.

In the moving interview, Bryan’s parents recall how their son was found hanging from the living room blind cord by his sister, after being left alone for just a matter of seconds

The loving and lively child, who would have turned three last Sunday, spent two weeks in intensive care, but never regained consciousness.

His father said the family would never have imagined their living room could be a “death trap”, while his mother described blind cords as a “silent killer”.