Man assaulted his partner and damaged her property

editorial image

A 28 year old man who assaulted his partner and damaged her property was sentenced to a total of seven months in custody last Wednesday at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

Viktoras Ovsianikovas, Clonavon Avenue, Portadown, admitted assaulting a female and criminal damage to a phone and a shed door on April 2 this year.

For each offence he was given concurrent prison sentences of four months.

Three month suspended sentences were also put into force to run consecutively, making a total of seven months in custody.

The case had been adjourned from a previous court for a pre-sentence report but this was not available because the defendant did not keep an appointment with probation.

The court heard that police were called to a domestic incident at Deramore Drive in Portadown where they found the injured party in a distressed state holding a child in her arms.

She pointed to a shed and said ‘he’s in there’. Ovsianikovas was taken to the police vehicle.

The victim said she and the defendant had been arguing most of the day for a variety of reasons.

He had damaged a number of items. The shed door was broken and off its hinges and her mobile phone, valued at between £300 and £400, was smashed on the kitchen floor.

She also told police that the defendant had hit her in the face with the phone. Her bottom lip was swollen.

The court heard Ovsianikovas had two suspended sentences on his record for motoring offences.

A solicitor for the defendant said he would claim while the injured party was using the phone to call police he had struck her on the lip while trying to get the phone from her.

He added that as a condition of his bail Ovsianikovas no longer lived with the injured party. They have a two year old daughter and the defendant understood that she did want to reconcile with him.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said that the defendant did not take the opportunity to speak with the probation board so he had no options available and the sentence was immediate custody.

Later in the court Ovsianikovas was released on bail pending appeal against the sentences.