Man ‘attacked with pint glass’

Craigavon Courthouse. INPT21-239.
Craigavon Courthouse. INPT21-239.

A Portadown man who ‘glassed’ a man and broke a woman’s finger by catching it in a door was jailed for a total of six months last Wednesday at Craigavon Court.

Dale Alexander Mardell (46) of Derrylileagh Road admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm on the male and a similar charge on the female on September 16, 2012.

He also pleaded guilty to two assaults on police officers and unlawful damage to a police car.

For each of the bodily harm assaults he was jailed for four months while concurrent three month terms were imposed for the assaults on the police and two months for the criminal damage.

A two-month suspended sentence was also put into operation to run consecutively, making a total of six months in prison.

The court heard that at 3.50am police went to Bridge Street where a man had been struck by a glass object. He received two deep lacerations to the left side of his head just above his ear.

The defendant was arrested but refused to co-operate with police. He spat at an officer and then spat at another officer before trying to bite them.

Mardell admitted to police he attacked the man with a pint glass “because he was slabbering” and made a counter allegation against the injured party who claimed he had struck the defendant but it was in self-defence.

The female injured party alleged that Mardell closed the bathroom door on her hand trapping her little right finger in the door and fracturing it.

The case had been adjourned from a previous court for a pre-sentence report.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said Mardell constantly tried to justify himself and his behaviour in the report, saying to the probation officer that he forgot he had a glass in his hand.

A barrister for the defendant said he had been in a relationship with one of the injured parties. They had been drinking all day and into the early hours of the morning.

She added that the relationship was now over and Mardell no longer drank. He recognised that he and alcohol did not mix. There had been no further offending.

Judge Bates said it was not a good pre-sentence report because the defendant failed to accept responsibility.

He regarded these as extremely serious offences which included ‘glassing’ someone and the sentence would be custody. Later Mardell was released on his own bail of £500 to appeal.