Man jailed after victim suffers fractured jaw in Woodhouse Street assault


The victim of an assault in Portadown consisting of just one punch was left with a fractured jaw which required surgery, Craigavon Magistrates Court heard last Wednesday.

Twenty-six-year-old Patrick Maughan, Oakvale, Moyraverty, Craigavon, was sentenced for unlawfully and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on a man on June 3 last year.

He was given six months in prison and ordered to pay a £25 offender’s levy.

The court heard police went to the scene of an assault at Woodhouse Street where the injured party said he had been struck a blow on the left side of his face and had collapsed.

He identified the defendant as his attacker. The injured party was taken to Belfast for surgery. He had to have a plate fixed to a fractured jaw.

The case had been contested on the issue of injuries alone.

It had been adjourned from a previous court so that a pre-sentence report could be obtained.

A barrister for Maughan said he had one previous conviction for assault and that was from an incident involving members of the travelling community.

He explained that on this occasion the defendant had been at a family gathering at one of the local bars. He was considerably intoxicated.

The solicitor added that the injured party approached the group and for a reason the defendant could not explain he punched the victim. There was no follow up, just one punch which connected very cleanly.

He said that Maughan had consumed so much alcohol he could not remember the incident.

When he saw the CCTV he showed remorse and he was shocked by his behaviour. It was an unpremeditated attack.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said that something was said to the injured party who could not understand what was being said to him.

Then he received a blow to the side of the face.

There was no argument. The injured party was just trying to understand what he was being asked, he added.

Judge Bates accepted there was no racial element in the case and it was not pre-meditated. He said it was entirely motiveless.

The judge described what happened as ‘gratuitous violence’ and that it passed the custody threshold.

Maughan was released on his own bail of £500 to appeal against the sentence.