Victim hit his head after assault in Portadown


A 20-year-old man who punched a man causing him to fall and hit his head was given a total of eight months in custody last Friday at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

Jordon Robinson, Scarva Road, Tandragee admitted a series of offences.

For assault on the police on April 6 he was sentenced to three months and concurrent terms of two months and one month were imposed for disorderly behaviour and criminal damage.

Five months in custody were imposed for assault occasioning actual bodily harm on April 22 to run consecutively, making a total of eight months.

The court heard that on April 6 at 2.30am in Union Street, Portadown, police received reports of a noisy party.

Robinson approached police in the street and used abusive language. He became aggressive and had to be arrested.

Robinson kicked out at an officer and in the police vehicle he bit into the leather of a rear seat causing a hole.

On April 22 at 3.20am police went to deal with a noisy party at Union Street and the defendant refused to open the door.

Police left and returned later because of an assault. The defendant had punched the injured party twice and he fell to the ground hitting his head. He had to have stitches at hospital.

The case was adjourned from a previous court so that a pre-sentence report could be obtained.

A barrister for Robinson said he had a bad record almost exclusively for token violence.

He added that on one of these occasions the defendant had drunk six litres of cider. He was a young man who sat on his own drinking.

The barrister explained that the injured party was a neighbour who had called the police and Robinson was so drunk he was out of his mind.

But, he continued, when sober the defendant was extremely polite and well mannered.

“He is a very likeable young man when sober but accepts he gets himself hammered and goes out and hits people,” added the barrister.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said there was significant injuries caused not only by the fall but also by the punches inflicted to the face which had to be taken into account along with the protection of the public.

Robinson’s barrister said he had taken instructions to appeal the sentence and he was released on his own bail of £700 pending appeal.