Warning after child approached by two men

editorial image
0
Have your say

Parents of children at Waringstown Primary School have been warned to be on their guard after an incident on Wednesday in which a child was approached by two men.

The suspicious approach took place at 3.10pm close to the school crossing.

According to principal Carl McCambley, the child walked on, away from the men, and was unharmed.

In a letter issued to parents the following day, Mr McCambley said police had been informed of the circumstances of the incident.

He urged parents to talk to their children about their safety at home time, and suggested it would be a good idea for children to walk to and from school in groups or to share school runs with other parents.

The letter added, “We would also suggest that you are particularly prompt with regards to collection times to ensure children are not waiting at the Mace shop, Dewarts or Primary Walk unsupervised.”

A PSNI spokesperson said, “Police received a report of a suspicious incident in Waringstown on Wednesday, October 12. Enquiries currently remain ongoing. “It is important that these type of incidents are looked at in perspective - approaches to children are thankfully rare. However all parents should speak to their children about the importance of keeping safe and not speaking to strangers.

“Advice on stranger danger or on how to inform children about this issue can also be obtained from your local police on the non-emergency number 101.”