Assaulted innocent woman and defecated in the street

Craigavon Court House. INLM0311-117gc
Craigavon Court House. INLM0311-117gc

After assaulting a woman who was walking home from work a drunken man defecated in the street where members of the public were present.

Gary Joseph John Haughian (29), North Street, Lurgan, had admitted indecent behaviour and unlawful assault at a previous hearing of Craigavon Magistrates Court. Sentencing had been adjourned for a pre-sentence report.

A public prosecutor told the court last Wednesday that on September 24, 2015, in the area of Woodford Park, Lurgan, at 5.10pm a woman was walking home from work. Haughian grabbed her from behind and jumped on her back before putting his arms around her face and neck. Two males intervened and the injured party ran home to tell her son what happened.

Haughian was seen walking up and down before he defecated in the street. This was witnessed by members of the public. The prosecutor said the victim was not known to the defendant and this was an unprovoked attack.

Haughian said he could not remember the incident due to his level of intoxication and he had no idea why he had done this.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said this was a completely random attack on an innocent lady.

Mr Conor Downey, representing the defendant, said his client was highly embarrassed and was genuinely remorseful.

Mr Downey explained that Haughian had been in hospital since his last appearance in court and he had underlying difficulties which needed assistance.

He added that when the defendant feels the onset of mental health difficulties he now has the foresight to present himself at the Bluestone unit.

There was a favourable recommendation in the report for community service. The prosecutor asked for a restraining order.

This was granted by Judge Bates. It will run for two years and it prevents Scullion from harassing, intimidating, pestering or interfering with the injured party.

For the assault charge he imposed a four month custodial sentence along with three months for indecent behaviour.

Both sentences are to run concurrently and were suspended for three years.