Man fights off crowbar attackers

The man shows a crowbar used by the attackers.
The man shows a crowbar used by the attackers.

A Portadown resident has told how he fought off two attackers armed with crowbars in a daylight attack at his home.

The man, who didn’t want to be identified, fiercely beat away the duo who had invaded his Kernan Avenue home on Tuesday afternoon.

He described how he grappled with both of them and managed to pry away their crowbars during a brawl which ended up in the quiet family street.

The man, who is in his 30s, said he had left his front door unlocked and when he returned he spotted a pair of feet behind the front door.

“I think they were hiding behind the front door waiting on me but I could see they were there so I was ready for them,” he said. “I saw their shoes straight away.”

He said it all happened within minutes and all he remembers was ending up in the street grappling with them and trying to get the crowbars.

“The fight ended up round the corner over some woman’s fence which ended up broken,” he said.

“It was all just instinct,” the man continued, adding that he managed to get the crowbar off the larger man first, who promptly ran away. “I still had a grip of the smaller boy and the big lad ran away. I got the crowbars off the both of them. One of them I gave to the police and the other one I kept as a souvenir,” he said.

The resident couldn’t recognise them as they were wearing hoodies.

“All the neighbours were out,” he said. “It was over in the blink of an eye, maybe two or three minutes.”

“They’ll not be coming round to my house again,” he said.

Asked if he was scared, he said, “Scared no way, they were a pair of pussycats.”

Detective Inspector Will Tate said, “Around 3.12pm we received a report of suspicious activity in Kernan Avenue. Officers attended and found that two males had entered a house. An altercation took place in the house and two males made off in a white Volkswagen Golf.

“We stopped this car a short time later in Brownlow Terrace (in Lurgan) and a 21-year-old man was arrested. He was later released on bail pending further enquiries. We would like to hear from anyone who has information which may assist this investigation,” he said.