A new church is to open and dedicated at a special thanksgiving and harvest weekend next week.
Derrycarne Hall will be opened on Saturday September 3 and Sunday 4th with both services at 3pm.
There has been a Christian mission in the townland of Derrycrane for 80 years.
A mission conducted by the Faith Mission is a local house in 1930 led to the formation of a Faith Mission Prayer Union which continues to this day.
There was a further mission in 1935. Then in 1937, following yet another mission, other regular meetings began.
The 1937 mission was held in the upper end of George and Lily Taylor’s house.
Their only daughter, Florence, married William Conn and the Conn family still resides in the same place.
From the late 1930s a Sunday night meeting, children’s meeting and prayer union all met in Taylor’s House until the late 1940s.
By this time a corrugated iron building in Tannaghmore, near Markethill, became available and was transported to and erected on George Taylor’s land in 1949.
Other local christians were involved in this venture and non moreso than Cecil Johnston and George Haffey, who erected and faithfully maintained the building.
Cecil had the responsibility of booking speakers for the Sunday night meetings from then until his home-call in 1997.
Both the Johnston and Conn families are still involved in the running of the present regular meetings.
It became apparent that the existing building had seen better days and additional facilities were needed.
A building started and a new hall is now ready for opening on the site adjacent.
The old hall, having served its purpose well, was taken down.
At the dedication of the new hall will be Trevor Matthews, George Conn and others taking part.
All are cordially invited.