The Ballymena community has been saddened by the death of local man Richard Moore, who had been critically ill after choking on a piece of food in a restaurant almost a fortnight ago.
Richard passed away in hospital on Wednesday where he had been undergoing treatment following the incident at the Ramore Wine Bar in Portrush on December 11.
Ric, as he was commonly known to his many friends, was a former pupil of Ballymena Primary School and Ballymena Academy and worked in the IT department at the Causeway Hospital.
Although he lived in Cloughmills with wife Jacqui, Richard’s family is well known in the Ballymena and Cullybackey areas.
His father Kenneth is a well-known figure in local business circles after a long association with the former General Motor Works car dealership, particularly at its former site on the Ballymoney Road.
Richard was an avid sports fan and a was a keen follower of the Northern Ireland football team and Ulster rugby team.
He was also an active participant in a number of sports and had played football in the Ballymena Saturday Morning League for Wakehurst Star, who Tweeted a tribute.
“Whenever you ever saw Ric, more often than not he had a big beaming smile on his face,” said one person who knew him.
“He was such a lovely, easy-going big fella and the almost freakish set of circumstances that led to his death make it an even bigger tragedy.”