Village in shock as man (93) dies after house fire

The scene of the fatal fire.
The scene of the fatal fire.

There has been widespread shock in Richhill at the death of pensioner Malcolm Troughton (93) following a fire at his home in the village.

Mr Troughton and his wife Lillian (86), who live at Richmond Heights, were rescued from their bungalow around 10.30pm on Sunday night.

Mr Troughton passed away on Tuesday.

His wife was due to be discharged from Craigavon Area Hospital on Wednesday.

According to the NI Fire and Rescue Service, smoke alarms alerted the couple, who were wearing personal alarms. The alarm company immediately called the Fire Service.

Crews from Armagh and Portadown attended and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued Mr and Mrs Troughton and extinguished a fire in the bedroom.

The couple were taken to hospital suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

Newry & Armagh DUP Assemblyman William Irwin MLA, who knew Mr Troughton for many years, has spoken of his sadness. He said, “To hear he has tragically passed away as a result of this fire is such sad and concerning news. We hope that Mrs Troughton makes a full recovery. However, it is such a tragedy and my thoughts and prayers are with Mrs Troughton and the wider family circle at this very sad time.”

He said it could have been an even greater tragedy had the couple not had alarms.

Mr Troughton, who helped care for his wife, worked for the Department of Agriculture for many years. He had lived in the area all his life, moving into the village from the countryside a number of years ago.

The couple’s son Philip is a prominent businessman in Portadown.