Penalty miss for ten-man Ports in home draw

Mark Surgenor (left) and Mark McAllister battle for the ball at Shamrock Park. Pic by PressEye Ltd.
Mark Surgenor (left) and Mark McAllister battle for the ball at Shamrock Park. Pic by PressEye Ltd.

Portadown survived a first-half red card but missed a penalty kick after the break during a Shamrock Park stalemate with Carrick Rangers.

Ross Redman and Sean Mackle combined along the left early on, with the former feeding Mark McAllister on the edge of the penalty area. McAllister attempted to work an opening for a shot, with Marcio Soares eventually firing goalwards.

Carrick carved out an opening when Ben Roy’s low cross from the right flashed across the danger area just beyond a sliding Kyle Cherry, with Chris Casement clearing the danger at the back post.

Portadown posed a threat with balls over the Carrick backline and the best chance dropped for McAllister but he screwed his effort wide of the target from an unmarked position.

McAllister then drilled a low ball from the right which Brian Neeson deflected out with his legs.

Roy’s first-time drive off a Miguel Chines pass dropped wide of the target during an open half-hour spell.

Portadown suffered a setback, however, when Tim Mouncey was sent off following two bookable offences inside a five-minute period.

It marked a second successive red card for Portadown and 10th of the season overall.

Adam Salley ghosted into space before the break but failed to steer a shot beyond David Miskelly.

Carrick stepped up the pressure early in the second half with a Chines free-kick which bounced past both Casement and Daniel Kelly before Miskelly could gather.

Portadown had another superb chance to break the deadlock when, on 52 minutes, a penalty kick was awarded by Andrew Davey for a foul on Soares.

McAllister stepped up but his low shot was saved by a Neeson dive to the goalkeeper’s left.

Miskelly was alert to push out a crisp drive by Salley from outside the penalty area.

McAllister came close to turning home a Redman cross from the left as the stalemate entered the closing stages.

PORTADOWN: David Miskelly, Chris Casement, Ross Redman, Keith O’Hara, Ken Oman, Sean Mackle, Mark McAllister, Michael Gault, Tim Mouncey, Philip Lowry, Marcio Soares. Subs: Martin Marron, Chris Ramsey, Mikey Withers (on for McAllister, 85 mins), Matthew Parker, Garry Breen.

CARRICK RANGERS: Brian Neeson, Aaron Smyth, Aaron Traynor, Mark Surgenor, Daniel Kelly, Aaron Harmon, Kyle Cherry, Barry Johnston, Miguel Chines, Ben Roy, Adam Salley. Subs: James Wright, Danny Wallace (on for Roy, 85 mins), Fra Rice (on for Johnston, 85 mins), James Taylor, Tyler Wade.

Referee: Andrew Davey.