Ten-man Ports suffer derby defeat

Eoin Bradley adds to the Glenavon tally in Portadown's derby defeat. Pic by PressEye Ltd.
Eoin Bradley adds to the Glenavon tally in Portadown's derby defeat. Pic by PressEye Ltd.

Portadown slumped to derby defeat and an eighth Danske Bank Premiership reverse in nine appearances as Glenavon eased home by 4-1 on another league afternoon to forget for Ronnie McFall’s men.

Glenavon cut open the Ports on six minutes when Ciaran Martyn fed Daniel Kearns along the right and his low cross found the unmarked Joel Copper but he failed to gain a clean connection on the delivery.

David Miskelly then displayed a strong hand to push over a Kevin Braniff drive down the middle of the goal.

Cooper and Eoin Bradley linked up on the left and a low cross was turned goalwards by Martyn, with the ball spinning off the far post.

Glenavon carved out another chance thanks to Simon Kelly’s ball from deep and a drive from Braniff but Miskelly dropped low to stop.

Miskelly had little chance, however, on 26 minutes when Braniff curled home a free-kick beyond the goalkeeper.

Portadown worked the away side’s first promising opening moments later with an exchange down the right between Chris Casement and Marcio Soares but the cross towards Philip Lowry was headed clear.

Glenavon doubled the lead with a goal created out of patient passing before Bradley steered in Cooper’s low cross.

The Ports slumped into the half-time interval following an abject first-half - but showed greater spark across the opening moments of the second half.

Conor Dillon displayed strength to hold off Mark McAllister and gain a crucial block on the striker’s shot.

Jonathan Tuffey then produced a smart save to divert Casement’s low drive past the post.

Martin Marron - a former Harry Cavan Youth Challenge Cup-winning goalkeeper with Portadown thirds who returned to Shamrock Park in January - was then handed a second first-team debut following injury to Miskelly.

Casement, so often a threat since his move forward this season from right-back to midfield, made his mark on 65 minutes. Glenavon had a goal ruled out for offside then, seconds later, Soares slipped a pass behind the backline and Casement steered in a shot via the far post.

Hopes of a fightback were cut short with two setbacks inside a matter of moments.

Marron failed to collect a Braniff drive and Bradley reacted first to tuck away the loose ball.

Robert Garrett was then sent off for a second bookable offence.

Ten-man Portadown were then placed on the backfoot but Marron dropped low to push away a low cross by substitute Andy Hall with two Glenavon players ready to convert.

Glenavon increased the advantage with effectively the final kick as Andy Kilmartin slid in to convert Hall’s cross.

GLENAVON: Jonathan Tuffey, Simon Kelly, Conor Dillon, Andy Kilmartin, Rhys Marshall, Joel Copper, Eoin Bradley, Andy McGrory, Kevin Braniff, Daniel Kearns, Ciaran Martyn. Subs: Kris Lindsay, Andrew Hall (on for Kearns, 74 mins), Mark Sykes (on for Martyn, 89 mins), Declan O’Brien, Gary Hamilton (on for Marshall, 82 mins).

PORTADOWN: David Miskelly, Chris Casement, Ross Redman, Chris Ramsey, Garry Breen, Mark McAllister, Ken Oman, Michael Gault, Philip Lowry, Robert Garrett, Marcio Soares. Subs: Marty Marron (on for Miskelly, 53 mins), Tim Mouncey, Matthew Parker, Sean Mackle (on for Ramsey, 77 mins), Mikey Withers (on for Soares, 80 mins).

Referee: Keith Kennedy.