Ballyhegan secure shield

Ballyhegan under 14s following victory in the Division Three Shield final.
Ballyhegan under 14s following victory in the Division Three Shield final.

Ballyhegan under 14s secured Division Three Shield success with a 5-7 to 1-6 triumph against St Paul’s.

Ballyhegan took advantage of the full-size playing surface to spread possession early on then James McCormack grabbed a goal off passing between Conor O’Carroll and John Doherty.

A second goal from James McCormack capped Tiernan Donachy’s interception before good work by Matthew McAtarsney and Ryan Rafferty.

Michael McCann, Kevin McCann, Ethan McAtarsney, Sam Harrison, Peter McGrane and Dan McKeever provided Ballyhegan with control.

A third Ballyhegan goal - and third for James McCormack - left the half-time gap at 3-2 to 0-4.

Ballyhegan shuffled the pack for the second half but remained on top as James McCormack posted a point then Dan McKeever added another goal thanks to James Crummie’s approach play.

Ryan Rafferty scored a point off his midfield run before additional changes led to James Harvey, Sean Hughes and Thomas Hughes joining the forwardline.

Ethan McAtarsney added a goal and point, with James McCormack also on target in the 5-7 to 1-6 final victory.

“This was an excellent game of football from both sides, played in a very sporting manner and well handled by referee John Haughian,” said a Ballyhegan spokesman. “They say goals win games and in this case that was indeed true but the scoreline perhaps does not accurately reflect the dominance of Ballyhegan, especially in the second half.

“An all-round excellent team performance, with everyone playing their part and one of which players, managers and parents should be proud.”

BALLYHEGAN: Tiernan Donachy, Matthew McAtarsney. Kevin McCann, Michael McCann, Peter McGrane, John Doherty, Ryan Rafferty, Ethan McAtarsney, Sam Harrison, James Crummie, James McCormack, Conor O’Carroll, Dan McKeever, Jamie McGahan, Sean Hughes, Thomas Hughes, James Harvey, Jack Furphy.

Ballyhegan’s Junior Championship quarter-final campaign finished in a defeat by Killeavy seconds on a tally of 1-8 to 0-7.

Ballyhegan entered the match in search of a first semi-final spot since 2004 but met a Killeavy side with a strong track record in the competition.

The loss of John Guy to a black card proved a setback for Ballyhegan and Killeavy raced clear by five points.

Paddy Marley registered off Tony Keegan’s pass before Thomas Reynolds helped to close the gap.

Mark Hughes cut the margin but the first half finished in drama with a dismissal for Mark McKeever and penalty save by Johnny McKeever.

Ballyhegan battled back after the break to reduce the deficit to a single point thanks to Paddy Marley and Mark Hughes.

Paddy Marley posted Ballyhegan’s final point of the fixture but Killeavy added to the scoreboard in the 1-8 to 0-7 reverse.

Ballyhegan’s league promotion bid will restart tomorrow (Saturday) away to St Michael’s Newtownhamilton.


Annaghmore suffered a repeat of last season’s Senior Championship setback by losing again to a side previously defeated.

Ballymacnab edged clear thanks to injury-time points, with Annaghmore missing out as a result on the semi-final.

Adverse weather conditions made life difficult at The Athletic Grounds but Ballymacnab settled early on to post two points inside five minutes.

It proved a lead that lasted until the closing three minutes of the game.

Michael McQuade capped patient teamplay with a point from distance and Michael McConville drilled a low shot into the net to cancel out a Ballymacnab goal.

Connor Cullen then directed Oisin MacIomhair’s pass on to the crossbar before collecting a John McCormack effort and reducing the gap to the minimum.

Matthew McNeice pulled off a fine save and the final play of the half arrived for Oisin MacIomhair to the half-time deficit of 1-4 to 1-3.

Ballymacnab added early points to the second-half scoreboard, with Matthew McNeice producing two point-blank saves.

Annaghmore regrouped and responded with Connor Cullen firing over off passing by Matthew Willis and Michael McQuade.

Daniel McQuade’s crossfield pass was then collected by Connor Cullen to increase the tally.

Connor Cullen’s personal return was extended thanks to a free that left a single point between the sides.

Daniel McGilly then picked out Oisin MacIomhair and he found space to level the match.

Annaghmore took the lead for the first time with three minutes on the clock thanks to Connor McCann.

Both sides shared control and Connor Cullen made another entry on the scoreboard but Ballymacnab’s strong finish left the gap at 1-10 to 1-9.

Annaghmore will now visit Dromintee on Sunday, September 27 in the final away match of the Division One league campaign.

In club news, Armagh County Board officials would request additional stewards for matchdays, with anyone interested to contact the committee.

Thanks also go to members of the community for help during the recent collection to aid refugees.

Irish Dancing sessions will continue each Tuesday evening from 6.30-7.30.

Spin sessions have been planned for the clubrooms, with events planned each Tuesday and Thursday from 6.45-7.15 at the cost of £2 per evening.

The weekly lotto numbers are 13, 14, 15 and 22 - without any Match Three winners.