Knockout progress for seniors and boys enjoy clean sweep on home soil

Chris Cousens with the ball. Pic by Bob Given.
Chris Cousens with the ball. Pic by Bob Given.

Portadown firsts marched into the Towns’ Cup quarter-finals with a weekend win over Banbridge seconds by 32-12.

Chris Cousens’ back-to-back penalties provided early points before a slick team move ended with Gary Hall’s try and a conversion by the former.

Portadown proved commanding across set-piece play as penalty tries allowed a 25-0 half-time lead.

Banbridge cut the gap against the run of play but Portadown posted points thanks to Jack Orr and Ryan Purvis.

Portadown seconds gained a significant push in the battle for league honours by beating Ballymoney across the top-of-the-table clash.

Portadown worked hard to restrict the damage by early Ballymoney pressure to a single penalty.

Improved home play included growing influence from Johnny Hampton and David Whitten.

Ruairi Quinn posted the first Portadown try, with the impressive Craig Woods adding the conversion before a long-range penalty.

Woods added another try - which he converted - and captain Dean Hardy opened his account for the season over the line, either side of a Ballymoney score.

Stephen Buckley produced a last-minute tackle to help preserve the advantage towards a 25-10 win - with Matthew Davison the leading player.

Thanks go to Shelbourne Motors.

Portadown thirds moved back into second spot within the league standings following last weekend’s 53-16 defeat of Ballymena fourths.

A single fixture in around a month left Portadown struggling across the initial exchanges but clear by 19-16 at half-time.

David Harpur added two tries, with Peter Keightley also over the line alongside Stan Hamilton conversions.

Glen McCullagh rewarded Portadown for a positive approach after the interval as the hosts claimed control.

John Purdy, Matthew Beale and Keightley increased the gap - with Hamilton adding a try and conversions.

Portadown under 16s enjoyed a clean sweep against Cavan by 14-0.

A commanding performance featured Michael Guilfoyle posting an early try converted by Oran McAndrew.

Jack Murphy displayed quick feet for a second try, which McAndrew steered home.

Portadown proved assured under second-half pressure.

Youth training will run each Monday and Thursday from 7 o’clock.