Whitten holds his composure to steer over late penalty and seal derby delight

Richard Hedley.
Richard Hedley.

Portadown seconds produced a gripping 20-17 derby success over Dungannon - with David Whitten proved composed to steer home a late penalty.

Dungannon posted an early converted try but a strong maul drive led to captain Dean Hardy collecting possession off Johnny Hampton to cross the line.

Whitten registered the conversion and Bob Gasek found a path to attack soon after to help send Portadown into half-time clear overall by 14-12.

Dungannon matched the first-half end product with the opening try of the second half.

However, Portadown worked hard to get back into contention and Whitten’s drop goal left it level before he added to his personal tally with a decisive penalty.

Portadown fourths’ young side turned the tables on a 17-5 reverse at the break against Queen’s.

Taylor Tweedie added a first-half try and posted a second after the interval.

Sammy Girvan and Frankie Gibson added to the team’s try count in the second half towards a 29-17 tally.

Matthew Brown, Girvan and Ian Flack shared the kicking role across a penalty and conversions.

Portadown thirds’ road trip to face Ballynahinch fifths finished in frustration.

A bright start failed to produce any end product for Portadown on an afternoon dominated by errors across the pitch from both sets of players.

Stan Hamilton’s penalty was wiped out by Ballynahinch scoring for a 10-3 deficit at the break.

Portadown added to the team tally thanks to Hamilton’s slick individual effort.

The visitors failed to protect the scoreline as Ballynahinch posted another try.

Robert Dougan left Portadown down by 15-13 - with Brian Lavery and Stuart Lyness impressive for the town men overall.

Portadown firsts finished down to Cooke by 33-7 last weekend as a result of basic errors.

Key injuries left Portadown unable to halt the momentum of a Cooke side bolstered by a recent upturn in form.

Ultimately, Aaron Morton’s consolation try - converted by Chris Cousens - offered little cause for cheer.


The latest under 18s’ Nutty Krust Floodlit Tournament at Chambers Park featured success for Dromore over Rainey.

Jack Lloyd-Evans of Rainey was name ‘man-of-the-match’ winner in the Irwin’s Bakery-backed competition.

The prize was presented by Ulster Rugby talent ID manager Jonny Gillespie at Chambers Park following the second-round clash.

Dromore finished in front by 15-7 across the fifth fixture in this season’s midweek youth competition.

Rainey held first-half control by 7-0 before the Dromore fightback.

Thanks go to Hewitt Meats and Scrummie At The Park for sponsorship support, plus Irwin’s Bakery as main backers.

The third second-round meeting was scheduled to featured Malone against Randalstown.

All support is welcome at Chambers Park.