Oman at the double as Ports battle back for welcome win

Ronnie McFall. Pic by PressEye Ltd.
Ronnie McFall. Pic by PressEye Ltd.

Ken Oman’s injury-time header helped ten-man Portadown stop the rot after six successive defeats with a 3-2 victory over Carrick Rangers.

Ronnie McFall’s men entered the interval trailing by 2-0 but produced a spirited performance after the break to turn the tables despite a red card for substitute Garry Breen.

Carrick enjoyed a bright start and took the lead on 15 minutes when Conor McCloskey - one of three former Ports players on show for Rangers - whipped in a delivery from the right which the unmarked Miguel Chines turned home at the back post.

Portadown produced an immediate response but Sean Mackle’s fine finish was ruled out for offside.

The Ports’ problems increased before the half-hour mark as Chines’ corner-kick delivery from the left was met by McCloskey’s powerful header. David Miskelly, on his first senior appearance since October 24, managed to push out the effort but the referee’s assistant ruled it had crossed the line.

Robert Garrett’s drive from distance then dropped just wide of the post after two deflections during the open match.

Miskelly was on hand late in the half to drop low and save Ben Roy’s angled drive off a Chines pass.

The final chance of the half arrived for Mark McAllister but he dragged the shot wide from a promising position after Garrett fed Ross Redman and the left-back’s looping cross caused problems for Rangers.

Portadown made a double substitution at the start of the second half - with Darren Murray and Breen introduced off the sidelines.

Murray picked out Gary Twigg and the striker’s low long-range shot found a way under the body of goalkeeper Brian Neeson.

Breen, however, had his afternoon reduced to around 15 minutes with a red card for a challenge referee Raymond Crangle viewed as dangerous play.

Portadown produced an equaliser on 70 minutes thanks to Redman’s free-kick delivery and a powerful Oman header beyond the diving Neeson.

Neeson pulled off late saves to frustrate Twigg and Sean Mackle before the late drama as Oman headed home Redman’s corner-kick.

PORTADOWN: David Miskelly, Chris Casement, Ross Redman, Chris Ramsey, Peter McMahon, Sean Mackle, Mark McAllister, Ken Oman, Michael Gault, Gary Twigg, Robert Garrett. Subs: Billy Brennan, Darren Murray (on for McMahon, 46), Garry Breen (on for Ramsey, 46), Tim Mouncey (on for McAllister, 64), Matthew Parker.

CARRICK RANGERS: Brian Neeson, Aaron Traynor, Mark Surgenor, Aaron Harmon, Andrew Doyle, Joe McNeill, Miguel Chines, Ben Roy, Conor McCloskey, Ryan Kane, Glenn Taggart. Subs: Daniel Kelly, Adam Dick, Gary Browne (on for Roy, 78), Barry Johnston, Brian McCaul.

Referee: Raymond Crangle.